Wednesday, November 12, 2008

2007 Root: 1 Cabernet Sauvignon

This is a continuation of the Purple experience from Monday night. We had tasted the Root: 1 Cabernet Sauvignon and really liked it. We were lucky to grab a bottle at Esquin for $10.99. I've had it open for about 30 minutes, so it has breathed a bit, but I suspect it will get a bit better over the next hour or so.

The nose is different than I remember it. Perhaps because it needs to breathe more, but I get nice black fruit and marinated meat. The marinated meat had me smelling it over and over trying to identify the aroma. But I fine it to be reminiscent of Korean kalbi. I also get alcohol in the nose, perhaps again because it needs to breathe.

On the palate I get fruit and tanins. I'm thinking sweet fruit. Like current jam, with a nice finish into a sweet mocha. There is a small amount of acid that seems well balanced. As much as I think it needs to breathe to open up the nose, it is really nice on the palate for a $10 wine. I can't imagine saving it. It seems ready to drink now. Overall, quite a find for $10. I'll try and give it an hour and update. Really, I mean try. Honestly I don't know if it will make it that long without being finished off...

~~
OK, revisit. The nose has opened up slightly and is more fruity. I get more blackberry aroma, but the marinated meat is still there. The palate has become a bit more fruity as the tannins dye out a bit. Still a drink now wine. Still quite a value at $10 a bottle.

No comments: