Wednesday, November 5, 2008

2005 WillaKenzie Estate Pinot Noir

I first went to WillaKenzie about 7 years ago. As I mentioned in a previous post, I usually ask the tasting room people what they like to drink and at the time people were raving about the WillaKenzie whites. They were, in fact, quite good. They overshadowed the reds.

Years later, I've had a hard time laying my hands on the whites, but that's OK, the reds are quite good. The nose has a nice plum and cherry aroma. The oak is light, lending a slight vanilla scent.

On the palate, the wine is light with plum and cherry flavors as revealed in the nose. It has a slight spiciness. I get a creamy flavor in the mid palate that is really good. It finishes to a slight bitterness.

I like this wine. I had it with a ribeye steak covered in a red wine and mushroom reduction and roasted root vegetables. It paired well, with enough left in the bottle to enjoy as a sipping wine.

No comments: