Friday, November 7, 2008

2006 Hudson-Shaw Riesling

I came across Woodhouse Family Cellars quite by accident. Costco (who doesn't love Costco for whine) had a lovely Kennedy Shaw Tempranillo what had me completely fascinated. When I learned that they were in Woodinville, a trip was in order.

Unfortunately, they were not tasting the Tempranillo or the Petit Verdot, which I was dying to try. Instead they had a focus on their whites. After the round of tasting, the 2006 Hudson-Shaw Riesling stood out as a real winner.

It is always good when a bottle of wine lives up to your memories of the tasting. As I'm sure many can relate, sometimes you get "tasting fever" (e.g. drunk) and lose your ability to discrimitate. A simple sniff of the wine told me this wasn't an unjustified purchase. The nose has a lovely melon-apple smell with overtones of honey. It is fairly low alchohol at 12.4% so I don't get it in the nose. On the palate, it is slightly sweet with honey and apple flavors, finishing to a nice ripe melon. I think honeydew melon. The acid is complimentary, although a bit in the background. The finish is long with a nice sweetness, although this definitely isn't a dessert wine.

If you like your rieslings sweet, but not raisin-y, you should give it a try. Overall a nice wine. We paired it with a vegetarian casserole with kidney beans, tomatoes, zuchini and a corn bread crust.

Lovely.

No comments: