Thursday, October 16, 2008

2007 Facelli Winery Lemberger

About three weeks ago the missus and I spent an afternoon out in Woodinville. We went out specifically to visit Woodhouse Family Cellars (details in another post) but since we were there we stopped into a few other wineries. Facelli is one of the oldest wineries in Woodinville. It is family-owned, and you are likely to run into the whole family when you visit on the weekend. We tasted several of the Facelli wines and decided on their Lemberger.

I honestly don't know that much about Lemberger. The only other Washington winery that I know of producing single-variatal wines with it is Kiona. Since I don't really know what a Lemberger's flavor profile is supposed to be, I get to give you a pretty open review of what it is like.

The wine is ruby red. The nose... I get raspberries. But with a sweetness that often makes me think of strawberries. Let's call it sweet raspberries. I also get a hint of a smell I associate with new carpet. Sort of a chemical/synthetic smell.

The wine is fruity on the palate, confirming the previous sweet raspberry thoughts. No real tannins, and the acid is light. The finish is short, and trails into a sour fruit flavor. Sort of like a cherry jolly rancher, with a touch of bitterness that doesn't quite fully develop into bittersweet chocolate.

Its a drinkable wine. I can't really tell you how it is as a Lemberger, but as a table wine, it is decent. At $17 a bottle, I think you can get a better table red or daily-drinker red. Still, if you are looking for something different, you might find it interesting.

No comments: