Tuesday, October 14, 2008

2005 Marigny-Neuf Sauvignon Blanc

Lately I've been on a bit of a Sauvignon Blanc kick. It started with a search for a good spicy food wine, and the typical high-acid of an SB seemed appropriate. With their relatively-low alcohol, they make for a great daily drinker. I've found the variety you get, from grapefruity to tropical and their price point (typically I can find good ones under $15) makes them a fun wine to drink.

I've been drinking a lot of New Zealand, Australian, and South African SBs, so I have grown to expect a nose with lots of citrus or flowers. The Marigny-Neuf was completely different. The nose seemed a bit tight, and there was no standout aroma. On the palate, I got a lot of minerality. The fruit was is the background, like a glass of grapefruit juice that had been watered down. I could feel the acid on my tongue more than I could taste it. The finish was long, with just a touch of honey moving to a lime-peel bitterness.

Weird thing is that this is not at all what I typically am looking for in an SB, but I found it strangely compelling.

I had it paired with fajitas. Seemed like a good combo to my palate.

I picked it up for $8, so I can't complain too much. A decent wine, but I've had wines I like a lot more at this price range.

No comments: